Commercial Construction Lending
Monday, March 1, 2021
2:30 pm – 4:30 pm Eastern
Construction loans for commercial real estate (CRE) remain a major part of commercial bank lending. Many community banks attempt to use versions of their residential formats and policies to administer commercial construction loans; however, this generally does not adequately control the situation due to several important differences between residential and commercial projects.
This program provides an overview of the key steps involved in effectively administering commercial construction loans.
- What is construction risk and how is it mitigated?
- Differences between residential and commercial construction loans
- What is High Volatility CRE (HVCRE)?
- Issues with contractor qualifications, construction contracts and budgets
- Seven items that determine how you handle a specific loan
- The overall degree of risk and key issues driving risk
- The type of project (full construction vs. renovation, etc.)
- The loan approval and related conditions or contingencies
- The term sheet or commitment letter written to the customer
- Your bank’s policies and procedures
- The construction loan agreement
- The events and issues that arise, including results of inspections
- Other key documentation
- Title insurance
- Funding and draw controls
- Lien waivers and lien updates
- Disbursement methods
- Monitoring usage of budget contingency
- Line item transfers
- Completion of the project and (if applicable) stabilization
Who Should Attend?
Commercial lenders, credit analysts and support staff that deal directly with commercial construction loans; mortgage bankers, private bankers, small business lenders, loan review specialists, special assets officers, lending managers and credit officers indirectly involved in the construction lending process
Richard Hamm has been training bankers for 28 years, designing and delivering courses specializing in commercial lending and credit, including portfolio and risk management, commercial real estate (CRE) and appraisals, plus selling and negotiating skills, and director training. He also conducts eight senior lender forums on a periodic basis in multiple states and one series at the national level.
He is based in Huntsville, AL and has owned/operated Advantage Consulting & Training for 14 years, after a 22-year banking career including senior positions in lending and credit, plus president of a community bank through formation and acquisition of an existing bank. He has BS and MBA degrees from the University of Alabama.
Attendance verification for CE credits provided upon request.
Webinar Sponsored by Total Training Solutions
If you are having issues with registering online, please contact CBAO's Education, Training & Special Event Coordinator, Patti Webb, (614) 610-1877.
Live Plus Five – Attend the live event and receive five business days of unlimited access to the OnDemand Playback and links to presenter materials and supplementary handouts.
Live Plus Five (Additional Hookup) – Registering another banker from a different location for Live Plus Five.
OnDemand Recording – Receive unlimited access to the OnDemand Playback for 6 months and links to presenter materials and supplementary handouts. This option does not include live session attendance.
CD-ROM – Receive the webinar recording on a CD-ROM 7-10 business days after the Live event or your registration date (whichever is the latter). Receive unlimited access to the OnDemand Playback for 6 months and links to presenter materials and supplementary handouts. This option does not include live session attendance.
Live Plus Six – Attend the live event and receive six months of unlimited access to the OnDemand Playback and links to presenter materials and supplementary handouts.
Premier Package – Includes all three base options. Live attendance, OnDemand Playback for six months, and the CD-ROM.